Just a short note about this blog.

For timeline purposes, posts from 2008-2014 are summaries of significant happenings in those years. Please use the Blog Archive links to start at the beginning.

Past tense/Present tense language may change within a post, but those variances should not impact the overall telling of my experiences. I am Canadian, therefore, the spelling of some words (tumor/tumour, color/colour) may vary depending on if it's my wording or quoted text. I have tried to include both key words in the labels of relevant posts.

The blog contains medical terminology. I have tried to provide explanations or definitions when they occur. Occasionally medical images (nothing too graphic) are included to further explain or demonstrate.

Explanations and graphics link to original sources wherever possible with the exception of my personal photos.

Search This Blog

June 01, 2015

Prednisone and Dental Issues

More fun! I get to experience yet another issue with long term prednisone usage!
It's a great medication, it's supposed to help with so many different things, but sometimes I have to wonder if it's truly worth it!

I was out grocery shopping yesterday, something I haven't done as much as I should. I tend to let Rob take care of the groceries, especially if I'm having a bad day. While we were out I was feeling the typical low blood sugar issues so picked up a chocolate bar to split with Rachel. Just a simple bar, no nuts, nougat, not sticky, just the typical soft bar similar to a Mars or 3 Musketeers.  Take a bite and I started thinking right away that somehow nuts had gotten into the bar during manufacture. Nope, turns out it's a chunk out of one of my molars.  I think that puts the count up to about 3 teeth  now starting to crumble and break.

I did some searching and apparently it is a common issue among long term prednisone users. Prednisone causes calcium absorption issues and the teeth need calcium to maintain health.  There are a number of other drugs that can cause dental issues.  A short list (not inclusive) of those can be found at Medication and Dental Issues.  

The fun part for me, ever since I was little, I have had an innate fear of the dentist! I had a bad experience once, and that was it for me. I brush regularly, I go to the dentist when it is absolutely necessary..aka pain to the point of intolerance, but if I can avoid that trip I will ... every time!